Having a stinky home... well, stinks! But it doesn't have to stay that way. There are SAFE ways to reduce or eliminate odors in your home. It's important to attack the odors head-on, rather than mask them with things like candles or spray. Here are some quick tips and tricks to reduce smells in your home.
- Change your air filter on a regular schedule. The air in your home cycles through your air filter(s) multiple times per day. If your air filter is not clogged or saturated, it will do a great job of capturing contaminants and pollutants that can make your home stink.
- Simmer a bowl of vinegar on the stove. This neutralizes odors, rather than masking them, like burning vanilla or cinnamon do.
- Steam clean soft surfaces. Soft surfaces, like drapes, curtains, and sofas, often get neglected in the cleaning process. Steam cleaning them is effective at eliminating dirt, dust, and odors.
- Neutralize stinky rooms by placing a mixture of 3-parts water, 10 drops of citrus oil, and 1-part cheap vodka in a decorative bowl. This is especially effective in rooms with strong foot odors or body odors like mudrooms and laundry rooms.
- If you, anyone that lives in your home, or your guests/visitors smoke, do so outdoors. Cigarette smoke clings to all porous surfaces, including walls. Even if people smoke outside of your home, the smoke can come in through the window, so it is best to smoke away from open windows and doors when smoking outside of your home.
- Pets can add smells to a home. Here is a complete guide on reducing pet smells in the home.
- If you have a garbage disposal, do not put carrot peelings, onion peelings, or potato skins down there. Not only can they block up your disposal, but they cause a horrible stink when they begin to decay.
- Sometimes your garbage can will begin to stink. Washing it with white vinegar and water will eliminate those leftover odors.
- If your laundry basket is filled with stinky clothes, consider sprinkling some washing soda onto the pile until you get around to washing them, as this will neutralize the smells.
TIP: Do not burn candles! They only mask smells and odors PLUS most candles release harmful particles and contaminants into the environment that can be dangerous to you and your family's lungs.